Grilled Mackerel with Radishes, Grilled Lemon, and Crackers
Recipe courtesy of Estate Chef Gretchen Stoops Luongo
8 Mackerel filets
2 C whole Milk
2 tsp Thyme, minced
Salt and Black Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Lemons, sliced 1/4” thick, seeds removed
1 bunch French Breakfast Radishes
Unsalted Butter, sprinkled with coarse salt
Italian Parsley Leaves, stems removed
Thin Crackers or Flatbread
- Season the Mackerel with salt and pepper and place in a glass baking dish. Combine milk and thyme and pour over fish. Let the fish soak for 30 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to over high heat.
- Sprinkle a little more salt on the fish, brush with olive oil and grill 2-3 minutes, then carefully turn and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, or until firm to the touch and cooked through.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Brush lemon slices with oil and grill a minute or two per side, until charred in a few spots and fragrant.
- Serve fish on a platter alongside the grilled lemons, radishes, salted butter, parsley and crackers.
Wine Pairing: Dollarhide Estate Vineyard Cold Concrete Sauvignon Blanc